
well, GLOC is on a great new path. This is one of the 300 or so photos we took last night. It makes me happy. I've been a little frustrated for a little while with our direction. My big quote to the ladies is we can't just be good, we have to be great. I think that's true regardless of men or women Comedians. There is an overabundance of mid-twenties to mid-thirties white males in improv. So for men to stand out, they have to be fast and funny. And let us be real, women are judged more harshly than men in this particular genre, because there are so few of us. So there's a magnifying glass always looming above. I don't think that's a bad thing, but there are plenty of men (and women) who don't think women are funny. Other than the only so often greats of Gilda, Carol, Lucille, O'Hara. And those amazing ladies weren't doing the specific type of improv comedy as it evolved into what it is today. I know that I judge women harshly. That's why we (GLOC) have to be great, or I don't want to do it. I think the Dallas Comedy Festival was huge for us. They have already invited us back for next year's festival and to do a weekend run of our show anytime during their regular season. Others invited us to do and submit other places. You know that whole, go out of town to get respect. I think it works. Since I returned from Chicago... we have been rocketing forward. We had 2 days of strategic planning, which I must admit I thought was going to be crap, and it proved well worth it's weight in paper, beer and warm-fuzzy ideas. Hey, we're chics! I'm beginning to embrace that. As far as our improv specifically, I have coached workshop since I've been back and that has been pretty awesome as well. Just working on scenes and telling good stories. Not pushing plots (platforms or tilts). Just playing slowly and discovering the story instead of inventing it. As a general rule, women play more slowly than men... that's why you find more women doing long-form improv than short-form... and yes, there are plenty of exceptions to this general rule. It's been very supportive and most importantly (for me and now for GLOC) freeing. That's been my mission since I've been back. I was free in Chicago. I want to be free as an improviser, wherever I am. So, it's a good feeling to see this pic. As a new start. We haven't seen any of the others yet. I can't wait to see the set where we are wrestling in the tiara's. It is nice to see the fresh start. And yes, when I pulled my tiara out, it was tarnished.
1 comment:
ooh la la my friend, i always hang with 6 of 'em cuz it's better fer conversation - plus if one gets sad i don't feel guilty and one of the others takes care of her. ooh la la my friend. it's humid on the web tonight...
Post a Comment